Monday, August 22, 2011

TEAR DUCT SURGERY

On August 15, 2011 Hana had tear duct surgery. Her right eye has a narrow or unopened tear duct. Since there are a few seasons her eye drains really bad and some times when she wakes up she can't open her eye due to all the dried up mucus, we thought it would be in her favor to go through with it.
Dr. Miller said that she only has an 80% chance of it being successful. This being that she's a little older. Usually it's about 90%.
We had to be downtown at 7 a.m. We planned to wake up at 5:30. That was a bit of a challenge for me since I haven't seen 5:30a.m. since Hana was still feeding in the middle of the night.
We got there early. Since lil Ricky was with us, we weren't all allowed to go in the back. I was the one who went to the back with her. Helped her get in her hospital gown, she decorated her mask for anesthesia.There were times where she was a little scared, but mostly we had fun back there just goofing around.
I know they were going to give her a relaxer before they wheeled her to the back. I was already prepared for it not to work. Even though I heard the Dr. tell another mother that it works for 95% of the patients. Well wouldn't you know. I was the 5% it didn't work for. Hana NEVER relaxed. Wheeling her back made it very hard. I couldn't go with her. She was scared and crying. I too was scared because this is surgery. Anything could go wrong.
The surgery was pretty quick. About 30 minutes. The hardest part was coming out of anesthesia.  Daddy went back first, but she was scared and kept crying for "mommy". Which surprises me because she's a daddy's girl. It was hard calming her down. She was crying to the extent of hyperventilating.  remembered what always worked on her when she was a baby. Singing "my little sunshine" now when I sing it sounds like your stepping on a squeaky toy, so I wasn't real comfortable with an audience. It worked!! I was so amazed that it still worked. I sat there with her singing for a while, till she was ok to get dressed.
The doctors/nurses told me she would sleep for the rest of the day. They don't know Hana like I do. She did NOT sleep at all. Well other than the car ride home.
I'm extremely thankful that God watched over her and the surgeons and the surgery went as planned.

                   Car ride to the medical center.

                Pretending to be a sleep.



                     Goofing around.





No comments: