Wednesday, December 8, 2010

RECEIPES!!

I have to post these recipes so I don't lose them. They are what I am required to make every year for Thanksgiving. I thought I lost the green bean casserole recipe and I could still hear my sisters despair in her voice. All the while trying to make me feel better that this new recipe I found would be just as good. Then referring back to the old recipe. Thankfully I found the recipe the night before Thanksgiving. So I had to go back to the grocery store to get the ingredients. Early that day I was praising my self for being on top of everything and not having to fight the Thanksgiving crowd. Little did I know.

Cream Puffs:
- 2 (3.5 oz) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
-2 cups heavy cream
-1 cup milk
-1/2 cup butter
-1 cup water
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1 cup all purpose flower
-4 eggs

1. Mix together pudding mix, cream and milk ( I use and electric mixer) Cover and refrigerate to set.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
3.In a large pot, bring water and butter to a rolling boil. Stir in flour and salt until the mixture forms a ball. Transfer the dough to a mixing bowl. Using a wooden spoon or a stand mixer, beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet. ( I do teaspoon fuls bc they get big).
4. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown. Centers should be dry.
5. When the shells are cool, either split and fill them with the pudding mixture or use a pastry bag to pipe the pudding into the shells. ( I split them and fill them).

***For an extra added touch I melt some chocolate in the microwave and than drizzle it on the puffs"

(all recipes)


Green Bean Casserole:
- Salt
-1 1/2 lb fresh green beans, ends trimmed
-2 tablespoons chopped onion ( I use a whole small onion)
-4 oz finely chopped mushrooms
-2 tablespoons flour
-8 oz sour cream
-pepper - to taste
-1 1/2 cup corn flakes
-1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F

2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium heat. Add the green beans and cook for until just tender but still firm, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from the water to a large bowl of ice water to preserve color and stop the cooking. Drain the beans and set aside.

3. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute until translucent. Stir in the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, to taste and saute about 3 - 5 min. Add the flour and stir for another min, to cook out the raw flour taste, and then whisk in the sour cream. Simmer for just a couple of minutes to bring the flavors together and taste for seasoning.

4. Cut the green beans into 2 inch pieces. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a small pan. Crush the cereal flakes in a reseable plastic bag and add them to the pan with the butter. Toss to coat. Spread the beans over the bottom of a 9 in casserole dish. Pour all of the mishroom sauce mixture over the beans and top with the grated cheese. Sprinkle the buttered cereal flakes and bake in oven until golden brown and bubbly, approximately 20 minutes.

(Food network)

No comments: