Monday, June 6, 2011

Ricky's Last Day Of School

Ricky had an awesome Kindergarten year. We were pretty worried of going from private to public. We also knew that if we had any issues with public we would put him back in private.
I have to say we were pleasantly surprised. Mrs. Narum was a great teacher. The whole Kinder staff seemed to be great and loved Ricky. Ricky excelled academically and socially. He received all "E's" on his report card for Kinder with the exception of on "s". The "s" was for class participation. He only received it because being shy he didn't raise his hand much. Which on this issue I have my own opinions.
Since Ricky was one of the strongest in class he was able to boost his confidence and help others.
On his Diagnostic Reading Inventory Results Ricky's scores were: Developed on the EOY screening 8/8; Listening Comprehnsion 6/6; EOY Reading Level J (I think Kinders are required to end at a "D" level).

This year he also finished his 1st real chapter book. The Diary of a Wimpy kid. He's reading another right now.

He only missed 1 day this entire year. It was the last semester. I'm not even sure he was really sick like he claimed. He acted fine all day and we even went out for ice cream. He was tardy 1 time the entire year. This was my fault because he was getting over being sick so I let him sleep in.

Socially he did great. As any mother you worry that your child will have no one to play with. I did especially in his case because I see him as shy. I discovered he's not so shy. He made so many friends in his class. He even had a girlfriend (which I have my opinions on, he's too young). He got a marriage proposals from this other girl. He had a girl break up with him because another girl liked him. So I must say he was popular with the girls. He also had so many guy friends. I know they played "monster" a lot at recess.

On the last day of school Mrs. Narum gave out certificates to students ( I guess students voted on what award each student gets) Ricky received Best Student. He never pulled a ticket this whole year (if your not behaving or do as your told you pull a red ticket). Ricky says he almost had to one time for not paying attention but cried so hard he got out of it. Even he knows the power of crying - hehehehehe.

                                Ricky with his "best student" certificate.
                                          Last day of school.

1st day of Kinder.  Wow look how young he looks. He's turning into such a handsome boy. 

I have a 1st grader now!! We'll see what Kohrville has in store for us this coming year. I hope it's as good as Kinder. So proud of my little guy!!!!!

I would love to put him back at Windwood for 1st grade because his transition teacher, Mrs.Hogan is teaching 1st. I credit her for teaching Ricky a lot and pushing him. That is my only gripe about his class. I feel he was never pushed.
I don't know what the academic difference is from a private to public school. I'm sure they have to be on about the same curriculum level by state. I just know that the transition class was pretty hard and Mrs. Hogan expected a lot from the 8 boys she had.
I'd love to see the 1st grad curriculum agenda for both private and public.
In the end it also boils down to parent involvement. Your child is as good as you expect from them and as a parent it's your duty to work with them and push them above their level.

No comments: